Born out of wedlock
By David Walker, Attorney at Law

In Georgia, legitimation allows the biological father to be recognized by law as the legal father when a child is born out of wedlock. The biological father may file a petition for legitimation of the child. The superior and juvenile courts have concurrent jurisdiction in legitimation cases. The superior court has general jurisdiction but the juvenile court may become the proper court in certain circumstances.

Annulment of marriage
By David Walker, Attorney at Law

We often get questions about annulments, as some people believe they are easier, quicker or less expensive than a divorce. This is usually not the case. Annulments are rarely granted and only in unusual circumstances.

Asset protection
By David Walker, Attorney at Law

Recently a client wanted to protect his new house from lawsuits or creditors. His ex-wife was constantly filing suits against him. He has four minor children.

Bad faith denial of insurance claims
By David Walker, Attorney at Law

Claim denied? These are the words no one wants to hear in response to an insurance claim. You have submitted your claim, the premium was paid, but you are turned down.

Various Types of Probate and Administration of Estates
By David Walker

An estate may need to be administered where there is property of the deceased to be transferred. Jointly owned real property or bank accounts, without survivorship, are some of the types of property that call for administration of an estate. If there is a will, it would be probated. If there is no will, the estate is intestate, and a petition for administration must be filed. A personal representative for the estate must be appointed by the Probate Court.