Mary Frazier Long
The Gwinnett Roadrunner -
On The Run February 2016
By Mary Frazier Long
 
Black History Month Observance at Salem Missionary Baptist Church
February is Black History month and a display of significant Black History artifacts has been placed in Heritage Hall on the campus of Salem Missionary Baptist Church, 351 Killian Hill Road, Lilburn, Georgia.
This celebration of Black History is open to the public and it tells an important story about African Americans in the Salem Church area and their contributions to Gwinnett County. An antique church pew constructed by the late Deacon Lewis Harrison, old offering tables, beautiful quilts and old photos are some of the items on display. Tours of the Black History display are offered to members of the church and to those interested in history. Salem Church dates back to about 1834 when Thomas Carroll had a church building constructed to provide a meeting place for Black members of the community. From small beginnings this church has evolved into one of the most impressive Baptist churches in this area.

Rubye Neal chairs the committee that arranged the Black History display and committee members are Gwen and Edgar Robinson, Gregory Bailey, Jerry Brown, Sadie Baskett, Carol R. Jones and Monya Mumin. Cherise Pratt is Administrative Assistant at the church and Cherise welcomes visitors with her beautiful smile.

Reverend Richard B. Haynes will celebrate 28 years as pastor of Salem Missionary Baptist Church in March. He will lead services commemorating Black History Month during February 2016. 

QUOTABLES

Love makes the world go ‘round and so does an upset stomach.

Every path has a few puddles.

“I tell you folks, all politics is applesauce.” Will Rogers

“America has the best politicians money can buy.” Will Rogers

“Politics has got so expensive that it takes lots of money to even get beat with nowadays.” Will Rogers, June 28, 1931

NEWS FROM THE PAST

•The News-Herald January 11, 1906, news from Dacula: “Our election took place Saturday with the following result Mayor S.OL. Hinton, Councilmen A.M.N. Wilson, S.E. Pharr, J.W. McMillan, L.C. Mauldin, N.G. Pharr.”

•From the News Herald, January 13, 1919: “At a meeting of the Lawrenceville High School basketball team “Banty” Martin was elected captain while “Snake” Carter was named to lead the team as manager.”

•The courthouse in Lawrenceville was painted white in 1947.

•The January 6, 1947 issue of The News-Herald reported that the Powell Smith Motor Company was in the rock building on Crogan Street across from the post office.

•The January 1, 1948 issue of The News-Herald reported that Grayson organized a Masonic Lodge.

•The January 9, 1969 issue of The News-Herald reported that J.E. McCullough was appointed as Lawrenceville police chief and Carl Herrington was appointed chief fireman.

•In January 1971 the Lawrenceville fire station was at City Hall 0n Crogan Street.

•In the November 6, 1968 edition of The News-Herald there was advertised for sale by owner 15 acres with house, barn and pasture three miles from Snellville near Highway 78 for $22,500. 

•The Duluth City Council adopted a resolution creating a City Housing Authority at a meeting on February 3, 1969. The three man Housing Authority  consist of Willie Jones, Paul Kesmodel, Mayor Corley.


CURRENT EVENTS

LEADERSHIP GWINNETT AT THE CAPITOL
The 2015/16 Leadership class toured the state capitol building and met with legislators as they observed Regional Day. The group also toured Oakland Cemetery and finished the day with a special lesson at Manuel’s Tavern. Not in the photo Susan Butera, Mary Hester, Alan Schneiberg, Carole Townsend. 

MORE CURRENT NEWS

For ice skaters—there is an ice rink in Sugar Hill at 5039 West Broad Street. It will be open through February 14, 2016.

The annual Grayson High School Alumni luncheon will be at Grayson High School on March 19, 2016.

Snellville Mayor and Council: Mayor Tom Witt, Council Members Christy Lenski, Barbara Bender, Dave Emanuel, Bobby Howard and Roger Marmol.

The Lawrenceville City Council members: Mayor Judy Jordan Johnson, Tony Powell, Bob Clark, Keith Roche, David Still.


Marie Beiser has been a member of the Lawrenceville City Council since January 2009 and she retired at the end of 2015. Marie Beiser has promoted the beautification of Lawrenceville and especially Lawrenceville Lawn. She was a proponent of the college corridor and economic developments. Marie Beiser Way is a street that will be named for her. Marie and her husband Bob Beiser are retired Gwinnett County educators.

Gwinnett Medical at Lawrenceville and Duluth intensive care units were named among the recipients of Beacon Awards for Critical Care Excellence by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses. The Beacon Award for Excellence recognizes caregivers in stellar units whose consistent, systematic approach to care optimizes patient outcomes.

School Board seats in districts 1, 3 and 5 are currently held by board members Carole Boyce, Mary Kay Murphy and Louise Radloff are up for election with a qualifying fee of $496. Qualifying will be the week of March 7, 2016. Qualifying fee for County Commission Chairman is $1,500.

The annual Grayson Day Festival will be held on April 30, 2016 at the Grayson Community Park.