This month we are devoting our column to your window covering safety. We are sharing the article from the Window Covering Safety Council website:
The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) are urging parents and caregivers during October to check their window coverings for exposed or dangling cords that can pose a strangulation hazard to infants and young children and to retrofit or replace them with today’s safer products.
WCSC and CPSC recommend that only cordless window coverings or those with inaccessible cords be used in homes with young children.
“Window cord strangulations are one of the top hidden hazards in the home,” explains CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. “CPSC recommends that only cordless window coverings or those with inaccessible cords be used in homes with young children. They are available today in the marketplace and will prevent window blind strangulations. Make sure all window shades, blinds, and draperies in your home do not have cords that are within the reach of a child.”
In addition, the Window Covering Safety Council encourages parents and caregivers to follow these basic cord-safety precautions:
• Move all furniture, cribs, beds and climbable surfaces away from windows.
• Keep all window cords well out of the reach of children.
• Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young children.
• Make sure tasseled pull cords are as short as possible. Continuous-loop pulls cords on draperies and vertical blinds should be pulled tight and anchored to the floor or wall.
• Be sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit inner-cord movement.
“Parents who check their windows and window coverings for safety and replace their older corded blinds, shades, and draperies with cordless products can feel more confident about their child’s well-being,” says WCSC Executive Director Peter Rush.
To learn more about window-cord safety, or to order free retrofit kits, go to the Window Covering Safety Council’s web site at www.windowcoverings.org, or phone toll-free at 1-800-506-4636.
For a free estimate on replacement blinds or shades, call The Blind Ladies – 404 918-5288 or visit our website: www.theblindladies.com