Lawrenceville – To assist residents with disposal of yard debris caused by Tropical Storm Irma, Gwinnett County will provide free storm debris removal along county and state roads, but not on city streets. This cleanup effort only applies to tree limbs, branches, and other vegetative debris.
Because County crews are still clearing debris from county and state rights of way and at critical facilities, removal of debris set out by the public will begin Wednesday, September 20 while work continues on clearing roadways and county properties.
To provide efficient service, please follow these guidelines:
• Tree limbs and branches brought down during the storm may be cut and stacked BEHIND the curb of your residence in the right of way. Under no circumstances should any type of storm debris be stacked or placed in the street. Debris can end up being washed into drainage inlets in a subsequent rain event clogging them and creating a flood hazard.
• Tree limbs and branches should NOT be stacked or placed next to fire hydrants, utility boxes, or utility poles. In addition, tree limbs and branches MUST NOT be mixed with other debris such as roofing tiles, fencing, or other items damaged during the storm.
• Trees must be cut as small as possible and each piece must weigh less than 50 pounds, and all pieces must be stacked neatly at the curb.
• Branches and limbs must be trimmed and cut to a maximum of four feet, stacked at the curb.
• If you hired a professional company to cut up your debris, we ask that they take the debris with them to reduce the volume stored in the right of way.
• Debris cannot be collected in plastic bags.
A completion timetable will not be available until the volume of debris is established, but County crews will work as quickly as possible until the effort is finished.
The County appreciates everyone's cooperation in ensuring the timely and efficient cleanup from the storm. Please contact the Gwinnett County Department of Transportation at 770-822-7400 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or firstname.lastname@example.org to provide the address for pickup.