Lawrenceville’s own, businessman and entrepreneur, Clyde L. Strickland enjoys mentoring future entrepreneurs in the necessary arts of business, leadership, finance, marketing, and networking at The Academy of Business and Entrepreneurship, located in the Clyde L. Strickland Entrepreneurship Center at Discovery High School.
Strickland shared personal stories, business successes, and life skills, teaching students to be self-reliant and successful in the business world. “You can be great!” Strickland posed questions to the future leaders, asking, “How do you plan on walking through life? What kind of business do you want to be in? You can make a living in any kind of work or in the trade industry, such as welding.”
The four-year Entrepreneurship Program was developed to prepare Gwinnett County high school students for a career as an entrepreneur during high school or after the completion of their high school education. Community partnerships drive the development of real-world ideas and businesses through active mentorship and project-based learning.
The entrepreneurship center, housed in a 16,200 square foot area, provides students with access to six maker spaces - Laser Burner, Dye Sublimation, Video and Audio Editing, Sign Making, Embroidery and Sewing, and 3-D Printing giving the future entrepreneurs opportunities to explore and develop their business aspirations.
“You can be anything you want to be,” concluded Strickland.
Fast Facts about Discovery High School
• School Principal, Dr. Gene Taylor
• Opened in August, 2015
• Innovative programs include: an entrepreneurship center, an academy model, and serves as the home for two Junior Achievement of Georgia programs for middle school students (JA BizTown and JA Finance Park).
• Nearly 100 instructional areas, with room to grow
• In addition to traditional classrooms, the school has seven computer labs, five business labs, three music rooms, two art rooms, and an entrepreneurship center.
• An academy model allows students to explore interests and provides preparation for college and careers. The academies offered at Discovery include: Business and Entrepreneurship, Fine Arts and Communication, Health and Human Services, and STEM.
• School Colors: Navy, Lime Green, and Silver
• School Mascot: Titans
For more information about Discovery High School, visit: www.discoveryhighschool.net.