Summer storms safety tips and resources from Georgia Power
Georgia Power monitoring weather, offering safety, preparation and outage information for customers
ATLANTA – As summer storms are expected to bring heavy rains and high winds to Georgia, Georgia Power is monitoring the changing weather around the clock and prepared to respond to any service interruptions which may occur.
· Never go into areas with debris or downed trees. Downed power lines may be buried in wreckage. Never try to make your own electrical repairs to Georgia Power equipment.
· Before a storm, turn off air conditioners (power surges can overload them), avoid landline telephones and unplug unnecessary electrical appliances as telephone lines and metal pipes conduct electricity.
· When driving following a storm, watch for Georgia Power crews working along the roadways, and obey all traffic signs and directions around work areas.
Free resources from Georgia Power to be prepared for severe weather include:
· Outage & Storm Center – Visit and bookmark www.georgiapower.com/storm to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages and find helpful information for before, during and after severe weather.
· Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
· Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power’s interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
· Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go. Use the app anytime to access account information and mobile bill payment options, as well as energy efficiency tools.
· @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
In addition to online resources, customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation’s largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company’s promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia’s 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).