Georgia Concussion Coalition to host concussion discussion in Gwinnett
Free Community Forum - Saturday, February 6th
On Saturday, Feb 6th from 9 am to Noon at the Infinite Energy Forum the Georgia Concussion Coalition, in partnership with The Concussion Institute at Gwinnett Medical Center-Duluth, will host a free community forum on concussion.
Parents, coaches, athletes, teachers, athletic association executives, health care professionals and other interested community stakeholders are invited to come learn more about this important health issue that has grown to epidemic proportions.
Concussion experts from across the State will educate attendees on the science of concussion, good policy and program implementation, and best practices in concussion management and care. Athletes will share powerful testimony to the importance of this discussion and offer valuable insight into their real-life concussion journeys. The program format will center around a series of panel discussions, offering great Q & A time for the audience.
Panelists will include:
* Juliet Haarbauer-Krupa, PhD - CDC - Traumatic Brain Injury Team
* Dr. David Wright, MD - Director, Emergency Neurosciences - Emory University
* Dr. Michelle LaPlaca, PhD - Biomedical Engineering/Researcher – Georgia Tech/Emory
* Dr. Adam Shunk, PhD - Neuropsychologist -The Concussion Institute, Gwinnett Medical Center-Duluth
* Dr. Russell Gore, MD - Medical Director, SHARE Program – Shepherd Center
* Terri A. Winston, MPA - Program Manager, Satcher Health Leadership Institute
* Jeff Hopp, ATC, LAT - Chairman - Georgia Concussion Coalition
* Kristin Crea. ATC. LAT, ITAT- Director of Sports Medicine - Gwinnett Medical Center
* Dr. Gary Levengood, MD - Sports Medicine South
* Mimi Gold, School Re-Entry Specialist - Brain & Spinal Injury Trust Fund - Children & Youth Committee
* Jon Weyher - Director of Athletics – Gwinnett County Public Schools
* Daniel McAdams - Board Member - Georgia Soccer
* Buddy Curry - Founder - Kids & Pros
* Bruce A Hagen - Plaintiff Attorney in NFL Litigation
Paige Havens, Director of the Georgia Concussion Coalition shares, "This is a great opportunity for stakeholders across the region to gather together and talk very openly and honestly about how this silent epidemic is effecting our communities. This will help us better understand the issues we face, the resources available, and the gaps we need to work together to address. This is rare opportunity for us to have such depth of expertise in one room that will answer our direct questions." Havens continues, "There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding about concussion. There is so much education we need to share and policy implementation we need to put into place. This is a great place for us to start."
The event is free of charge and open to any and all interested. Casual attire is encouraged. Attendees are asked to RSVP to Candace Morgan at 678-312-6002 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.