By: Staff Reports | Gwinnett Citizen

Bethany Baptist Church quilt donation

By Pastor Jim Crutchfield

A few friends gathered around an old keepsake at Bethany Baptist Church the other day.  A touch of years gone by and recollections of baptisms and preachers and old friends was shared freely among the group as they looked at the quilt that was donated to the church in April of 2016.

Each person was able to locate the square that represented their family.  Annette Britt had been instrumental in receiving the quilt that had been made in the mid 1950’s by the Women’s  Auxiliary.  Shirley Brannan Wilson and Ellen Brooks Stover were in the group that made and presented the quilt to the Avery Graves Family as a departure gift for his service as Pastor to Bethany.  The group spoke fondly of his ministry, some having been baptized by him in Possum Lake.  As those gathered, they talked of the early years of Snellville and the prominent families who gave of themselves in so many ways to Bethany Baptist Church, the twinkle of an eye, a wistful smile, and black and white photographs are all that remains of what are now faded memories of time past.  It was good to hear the stories because they are part of the history of this community and of Bethany Baptist Church whose ministry continues from 1848 to the present day.  The quilt has been placed in the Welcome Center of the church as a testimony to the faithfulness of the families of Bethany.  The names have changed through the years, but the heart to serve and to share the love of God with everyone, everywhere is still the guiding purpose of Bethany Baptist Church.

Names on the Quilt (L-R)
Row 1:  Clara Malone, Ruth Gunter, Omie Bennett, Mary Brooks
Row 2:  Frances Malone, Shirley Brannan, Ruth Bryan, Annie Dix
Row 3:  Vera Hazelrigs, Ruby Bryan, Mrs. V.H. Ford, Drucilla Tuck
Row 4:  Katie Mae Tuck, Sophia Britt, Elizabeth Nix, Ellen Brooks
Row 5:  Winnell Graves, Tommie Cofer, Willie Brannan, Collie Brown

Editor’s note: Possum Lake is now called Lake Lucerne.